Don’t forget–copper tarnishes. Tarnishing and oxidation is a natural process that happens to most metals. Our copper items are coated with a food safe lacquer that reduces tarnishing, however, the lacquer will wear off with time and usage. Eventually, the shine will fade and spots may appear. Many people feel this is what gives copper its charm and like the way it looks. It is not harmful. To protect the lacquer for as long as possible, hand wash with warm soapy water and dry immediately. Use only natural soaps, as harsher soaps, such as Dawn, can deteriorate the lacquer. Dishwashing is not recommended as results can vary depending on the hardness of water, detergents, etc. Copper products are NOT microwave safe. DO NOT use this product in the microwave. If you want to keep your copper items shiny, you can rub a mixture of 1 tablespoon of table salt and 1 cup of white vinegar onto the copper with a soft cloth and rinse. Or, immerse the tarnished copper into a pot of 3 cups of water and the salt-vinegar mixture, bring to a boil and boil until the grime and tarnish comes off. You can also use a polish like Wright’s Copper Polish to keep the copper looking shinny!