Every year in the beginning of May, people in every state around the country gear up for the Kentucky Derby. The ladies search out the perfect fancy hat while the men don the classic seersucker. Special parties are organized all over town for "the most exciting two minutes in sports". In fact, this 130-year-old race has become more about the party than anything, and is a fabulous reason to drink bourbon in the afternoon!
So what exactly makes a great Derby party anyway? Well, here are a few tips to get you started:
1. TV - Tune in to NBC on Saturday, May 7, from 4 – 7 p.m. EST for all the Kentucky Derby action.
2. Food - Bake a Derby Pie! Here's a great recipe called "Not Derby Pie" due to trademark regulations.
3. Outfits - Hats are a must at a Derby party. They can be simple or grandiose, custom-made or off the rack, just make sure to have one perched on top of your head.
4. Games - Why not set up a game of horseshoes in the backyard?
5. Red roses - The Kentucky Derby is also called "the Run for the Roses," as the winning horse is draped with the flowers after crossing the finish line so cover your table or fill the room with roses!
6. Last but not least... DRINKS! We recommend this recipe for the perfect Mint Julep:
- 1 scant ounce minted simple syrup
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 2 ounces bourbon (such as Woodford Reserve)
- Fresh mint sprig, for garnish
In a copper Julep cup, add minted simple syrup, then 1 cup crushed ice, bourbon, and splash of water. Add enough of remaining ice to almost fill glass. Stir well, garnish with mint sprig, and have a blast!